Short And Long Term Effects Of Toxic Exposure | Koszdin, Fields, Sherry & Katz
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration highlights both acute and chronic toxic exposure effects. Workers who have been exposed to toxins of any kind should quickly seek medical attention.
Logo 800-747-3447
6151 Van Nuys Boulevard, Ground Floor Van Nuys, CA 91401
Se Habla Español Schedule A Free Consultation
818-812-5639 | 800-747-3447
Short and long term effects of toxic exposure
On behalf of Koszdin, Fields, Sherry & Katz posted in workplace accidents on Thursday, August 24, 2017.

Los Angeles workers who are exposed to toxic chemicals or fumes may face both acute and lasting damages. The injuries faced depends on the type of toxin that they were exposed to and how it was treated, as well as the duration of the exposure. Unfortunately, damages can be much more extensive than anyone may initially guess.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration highlights both acute and chronic toxic exposure effects. Chronic effects are considered to be permanent in many cases, and can appear in areas that a person may not expect to be affected. For example, someone who has inhaled toxic chemicals over a period of years may eventually experience problems with their liver or other organs. Cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other long-term, severe ailments may occur. Chronic toxic exposure tends to be harder to pinpoint as well, especially since it may take years to manifest and can appear to be unrelated at first.

Cornell University shows some of the more prominent short-term effects of toxic inhalation or exposure, as well. Common effects can include rashes, swelling or itching to points of direct contact. Confusion and dizziness may also occur, especially if the toxins were inhaled. Other symptoms specific to inhalation include tightness in the chest, coughing, and wheezing. Additionally, a person may have bowel problems, including diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.

Workers who have been exposed to toxins of any kind should quickly seek medical attention. Acute issues can signal an over-exposure to dangerous extremes. Long term effects may be even worse, and should be nipped in the bud before they have the chance to manifest in severe health issues.

Share on: